[R] nonlinear least squares fitting Trust-Region"

RAVI VARADHAN rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Sat Sep 2 16:42:10 CEST 2006

As suggested by Prof. Ripley, you should read a good book in the optimization area.  One that I would highly recommend is the book by Dennis and Schnabel (1983) - Numerical methods for unconstrained optimization, which does a great job of explaining both "line-search" and "trust-region" approaches for achieving globally-convergent versions of a fast numerical scheme such as Gauss-Newton.

Best,
Ravi.