[R] Reading a file in R

Geoff Russell geoffrey.russell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 12:33:32 CEST 2006

On 9/19/06, Mesomeris, Spyros [CIR] <spyros.mesomeris at citigroup.com> wrote:
> Dear R helpers,
>
> I am trying to read a CSV file in R called EUROPE (originally an Excel
> file which I have saved as a CSV file) using the command
>
> EUROPEDATA <- read.csv("EUROPE.csv")
>
> EUROPE.csv is basically a matrix of dimension 440*44, and has a line of
> headers, i.e. each column has a name.

Check your file for unicode characters, they will get in the way. I'm
new to R myself
but have used both read.delim and read.csv. I've only had problems
when the files contained unicode. I don't know excel, but in staroffice you need
to explicitly set the character set during the save if the file had
unicode on input.

Cheers,
Geoff Russell