[R] Linux configuration (Ubuntu)

Poizot Emmanuel poizot at cnam.fr
Wed Sep 20 08:33:36 CEST 2006

Brian Edward a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> I have been a R user for about a year now, running on a MS Windows machine.
> I am in the process of making a complete switch to open-source.  Linux is a
> new world to me.  Ubuntu was my selection of the various distributions.
> Please pardon this very basic question (I was unable to locate an answer on
> R or Ubuntu).  I used Synaptic to download the necessary files to run.
> However, I was unable to locate the program using the Add/Remove feature.
> So, I created a Launcher for R on the desktop and identified the executable
> file.  The path I entered into the Command Line was:  /usr/bin/R
> I can run R in the Terminal, but not as a separate desktop location.  So,
> the short question is, what is the specific command line or configuration I
> should be using to run R?  Or, am I supposed to be running R in the
> Terminal?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Brian
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Dear Edward,

R under linux (Ubuntu or other distributions) is not exactly as it is
under windows.
Under linux, you have to use a shell (or a terminal) to launch R and use it.
The main difference between windows and linux version of R, is that R
under linux, does not provide the graphical facilities to load and
install libraries. To do so under linux, you have to download the tar.gz
version of the library from CRAN and use as a root user the command R
CMD INSTALL thelibrarytoinstall.tar.gz. You have to install, of course,
before, the needed compilers gcc and/or fortran, depend the library you
are about to install.
Hope it 'll help.
Regards

--