[R] Linux configuration (Ubuntu)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Sep 20 18:45:47 CEST 2006

On 20 September 2006 at 15:42, Martin Maechler wrote:
| Further note that  Ubuntu (as all other Linux distributions
| derived from Debian) provides ESS as a standard package you can
| simply install, e.g., via Synaptic.
| Note that you need to activate the 'Universe'
| {in the sources that Synaptic or other package installers
|  search} for that, but I assume you've done that anyway for the
| R-related ubuntu packages.

At this point, it may be worth recalling that there are

	-- eleven 'core' R packages incl documentation and r-mathlib
	-- around 80 CRAN packages ready to install to extend R
	-- packages for ess as mentioned in this thread
	-- RPy (R from Python) support via the python-rpy package
	-- Ggobi via the ggobi package
	-- and even R inside PostgreSQL via postgresql-$VER-plr

for Debian and Ubuntu.  Not everything may be available at all 'flavours' but
Debian testing and Ubuntu dapper are well covered.

| And yes, I believe Ubuntu is a very good choice when upgrading
| from Windows!

Yup, though I personally prefer KUbuntu.  That said, all indications are that
the new Debian installer will be very powerful.  Hopefully in December ...

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison