[R] the numimum number of fixed factors lme package can dealwith

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Wed Apr 4 15:06:51 CEST 2007

As Doug noted yesterday, you may have a limit on the memory needed to
create the model matrix for the fixed effects. But, aside from that,
based on what I see below, it appears you have manually created a model
matrix yourself. If that's true, you don't need to do that. You can
create a single column and create a factor. R will then create a model
matrix for you. Of course, this won't help with the memory issue,
though.

We have no idea how much memory you have allocated to R, did you try
increasing this as described in the FAQs?