[R] simulate a null expectation

Ryan Briscoe Runquist rdbriscoe at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 6 21:28:41 CEST 2007

Hello,

I am trying to write a simulation to generate a null hypothesis so that I
can test my data.  Essentially we started out with a grid of points and I
have a symmetrical matrix of the distance between all of these points.  I
then want to simulate random movement.  So I want to be able to start at a
point, search through the matrix for the three closest points and with
equal probability move to one of them or stay at the same place and then
record the distance moved as well as the relative elevation (a vector of
data that I also have) and then starting at that grid-point repeat the
process a number of times.  Does anyone know of a function that could help
me with this?

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan D. Briscoe Runquist