[R] simulate a null expectation

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 7 05:01:26 CEST 2007

Hi Ryan,

I think that the only function you need is the one
which generates random variable. The simplest one is
to generate a uniform (0,1) variable U and then do not
move if U < 0.25, move to the first nearest point if
0.25 <= U < 0.5, move to the second nearest point if
).5 <= U < 0.75 and move to the third nearest point if
U >= 0.75.
To make things work faster you may wish to prepare for
which of your points the indexes of the 3 nearest
points (i.e. if you have N points you prepare an Nx3
matrix of indexes).

Regards,

Moshe.

--- Ryan Briscoe Runquist <rdbriscoe at ucdavis.edu>