[R] how to include bar values in a barplot?

Donatas G. dgvirtual at akl.lt
Fri Aug 10 10:15:07 CEST 2007

Quoting Greg Snow <Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org>:

> My original intent was to get the original posters out of the mode of
> thinking they want to match what the spreadsheet does and into thinking
> about what message they are trying to get across.  To get them (and
> possibly others) thinking I made the statements a bit more bold than my
> actual position (I did include a couple of qualifiers).

As an original poster (and a brand new user of R), I would like to comment on
the educational experience I have just received. ;)

The discussion was interesting and enlightening, and gives some good
ideas about
the ways (tables, graphs, graphs with numbers etc.) to get the data accross to
the ones one is presenting to. I see some of you guys do feel quite strongly
about it, which is fine for me. I do not. I usually care for barplot
aesthetics
and informativeness more than for visual simplicity. That may change in
time :)

I see R graphical capabilities are huge but hard to access at times - that is
when spreadsheet seems preferrable. For example, as a user of Linux I still
cannot figure out why the fonts (and graphics in general) look much more ugly
on R in Linux than they do in R on Windows - no smoothing, sub-pixell hinting,
anything like that. That is what my next free time homework on R will be about
:)

Sincerely

Donatas Glodenis
PhD candidate
Department of Sociology of the Faculty of Philosophy
Vilnius University
Lithuania