[R] how to include bar values in a barplot?

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Fri Aug 10 17:30:42 CEST 2007

Welcome to the world of R.

I'm glad that you found the discussion enlightening, now that you have
thought about things a bit, here is some code to try out that shows some
of the alternatives to the original plots you provided (which is best
depends on your audience and what your main question of interest is
(which comparisons are most important):

tmp <- c(34,22,77)

tmp2 <- barplot(tmp, names=LETTERS[1:3])

# put numbers at bottom of bars
axis(1, at=tmp2, labels=as.character(tmp), tick=FALSE, line = -1)

# put numbers at top of plot
axis(3, at=tmp2, labels=as.character(tmp), tick=FALSE)

# horizontal boxplot

op <- par(mar=c(5,6,4,6)+0.1)
tmp2 <- barplot(tmp, names=LETTERS[1:3], horiz=TRUE)

# put numbers on the right
axis(4, at=tmp2, labels=as.character(tmp), tick=FALSE, las=1)

par(op)

# the dotplot
library(Hmisc)
dotchart2(tmp, labels=LETTERS[1:3], auxdata=tmp, xlim=range(0,tmp))

# alternatives to stacked bars

tmp1 <- c(8, 22, 60, 10,  10, 21, 59, 10)
tmp2 <- factor(rep(c('A','B'), each=4))
tmp3 <- factor(rep(1:4, 2))

dotchart2(tmp1, groups=tmp2, labels=tmp3, xlim=range(0,tmp1))
dotchart2(tmp1, groups=tmp3, labels=tmp2, xlim=range(0,tmp1))

library(lattice)
tmp <- data.frame( tmp1=tmp1, tmp2=tmp2, tmp3=tmp3 )

dotplot( tmp2~tmp1, data=tmp, groups=tmp3, pch=levels(tmp3),
	scales=list(x=list(limits=range(0,tmp1))) )
dotplot( tmp3~tmp1, data=tmp, groups=tmp2, pch=levels(tmp2),
	xlim=range(0,tmp1) )

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center