[R] Odp: Very new - beginners questions

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Mon Aug 13 15:10:40 CEST 2007

Hi

r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch napsal dne 13.08.2007 14:04:50:

> Dear all,
>

> I have 4 sites and want to determine how different they are from each
other.
> For this I have decided to use R though it seems a bit daunting to
learn.
>   I have read data in from a CSV the structure is :
>
>    Species1 Species2 Species3
>
> Site1 4 4  7
> Site2 3 1  0
> Site3 0 99  6
> Site4 75 3  33
>
> There are many more species than shown above this is just an example.
Here are
> the questions.
>
>   How do I read one row of data so as to load site2 into a variable
called site2?

?read.table and other read..... commands. Do not work with variables but
with data frames.

> Once I plot a graph using ordiplot how do I extract it from R so that I
can
> put it into a Word for Windows document?

1. save a graph from menu
2. use ?png, ?jpeg and others to see how to output graph to files
(devices)

>   Once I have the data in varables I hope to use designdist and Sřrensen
> discover diversity indices. I had a crack at this once but because I had
sites
> as the columns it didn't work. Now that I think I have the data correct
I can proceed.

>   x Input data (this will be the whole data set that I read into my
variable
> 'allSites' from a CSV.)?
>
> The variables for Sřrensen will contain terms J for shared quantity, A
and B
> for totals, N for the number of rows (sites) and P for the number of
columns
> (species) and 'Binary' as the term.
>
>   How do I get the shared number of species for each row?
>
>   Probably very beginner type questions but I want to get on an haven't
yet
> found the answers in my trawl throgh the help. Is there a book that I
can buy
> to learn R?

look at CRAN. You can find various books from beginners to quite advanced.
e.g. P.Dalgaard Introductory statistics with R isd quite good for first
steps. Or you can consult Rtips from Paul Johnson. (Just type statsrus
into Google). Good idea is also to look into posting guide.

Regards
Petr