[R] Very new - beginners questions

John Kane jrkrideau at yahoo.ca
Mon Aug 13 15:51:45 CEST 2007

Hi Richard,

No specific answers for your data questions but for
learning R there are any number of resources.

There are links to references for books and a large
number of on-line materials on the R website.  Have a
look at the list on the bottom left of the screen for
"books" and "other" which leads to "contributed
documentation".

 Books by Dalgaard, Verzani and Crawley all get good
reviews.

In the contributed documents area "Using R for Data
Analysis and Graphics - Introduction, Examples and
Commentary”  by John Maindonald  and "Kickstarting R"
by Jim Lemon are both very useful.

I have also found that while An Introduction to R is
invaluable it is best to download it and keep it as a
pdf or a hard copy.  Also it is better as a 'second
intro' after you have looked at some of the books or
other supporting documentation.

Don't forget to browse the FAQs.  They answer some of
the more vexing questions about R very well.

(Oh if you want to move a graph from R to Word in
Windows just right click on the graph and copy it.)