[R] Regression tree: labels in the terminal nodes

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Thu Aug 16 15:59:38 CEST 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Juergen Kuehn wrote:

> Dear everybody,
>

> I'm a new user of R 2.4.1 and I'm searching for information on improving
> the output of regression tree graphs.
>
> In the terminal nodes I am up to now able to indicate the number of
> values (n) and the mean of all values in this terminal node by the command
>
> > text(tree, use.n=T, xpd=T)

Note that this is specific to the "rpart" implementation. There are also
other recursive partitioning algorithms available, see e.g., the
"MachineLearning" task view at
   http://CRAN.R-project.org/src/contrib/Views/MachineLearning.html

The ctree() algorithm in package "party" provides more flexibility
concerning visualization. The plotting methods are all extensible although
this is not extensively documented.

Maybe you also want to look at Simon Urbanek's interactive KLIMT software
for tree visualization.

hth,