[R] Plotting error bars in xy-direction

Hans W. Borchers hwborchers at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 10:44:52 CET 2007

Dear R-help,

I am looking for a function that will plot error bars in x- or y-direction (or
both), the same as the Gnuplot function 'plot' can achieve with:

    plot "file.dat" with xyerrorbars,...

Rsite-searching led me to the functions 'errbar' and 'plotCI' in the Hmisc,
gregmisc, and plotrix packages. As I understand the descriptions and examples,
none of these functions provides horizontal error bars.

Looking into 'errbar' and using segments, I wrote a small function for myself
adding these kinds of error bars to existing plots. I would still be interested
to know what the standard R solution is.

Regards,  Hans Werner