[R] Adding info from summary(lm(...)) to plot

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Dec 9 20:15:12 CET 2007

Hi Folks,

Say I have 2 continuous variables X,Y.

I can of course plot (X,Y) with

  plot(X,Y,pch="+",col="blue")

say, and add the regression line from lm(Y~X)
by extracting the coefficients 'a' of Intercept
and 'b' of X from Y.lm <- lm(Y~X).

Now, however, I want to have not only a general
explanatory title such as

  main="Plot of Y against X"

but also (and ideally just under the main title
and above the figure region of the plot) the
result of

  round(summary(Y.lm)[[4]],digits=3)

exactly as shown below:

            Estimate Std. Error t value Pr(>|t|)
(Intercept)   78.636      0.273 287.902    0.000
X             -0.074      0.029  -2.527    0.012

It would also be OK to have it as a "subtitle"
below the xlabel (which by default is X" in this case).

I've been trying to work out how to so this simply,
but without much success. I can see a complicated
way, which involves binding the row and column names,
and the values, of the above output, using paste()
along with "\n" at suitable places, but I'd like to
have something much less intricate than that!

I'd also like to be able to integrate the solution
nicely with the main title (or the X label) so that
there's no overlap.

Any suggestions?

with thanks,
Ted.