[R] 00LOCK error with site-library

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Mon Dec 10 23:50:33 CET 2007

Mark W Kimpel wrote:
> I have identical R.profiles and R_HOME directories set up on both my
> local machine and a remote linux cluster. To keep my libraries and R
> install separate, I use a site-library on both machines.
>
> The first line of my .Rprofile is:
> '.libPaths(new= "~/R_HOME/site-library") #tell R where site-library is'
>
> Until R-2.6.0 this was working fine on both machines, but since I have
> been unable to upgrade packages on the remote machine. Every attempt at
> upgrade results in a directory '00LOCK' being place in the
> site-directory and then the upgrade fails.

This directory gets placed there and then removed when the upgrade is
finished, to prevent two processes from trying to simultaneously update
the directory. If you terminated an upgrade in an unexpected way, say by
dropping your connection, then the file will be left and you need to
manually remove it before you try to upgrade again.

If you have removed it, and it keeps re-appearing, it is a sign of
something else going wrong (usually outside of R).

Paul

> This has happened with R-2.6.0, 2.6.1, and now with R-devel (2.7.0).
>
> If I have this setup incorrectly I am puzzled as to why it works with my
> local machine and why it worked with versions of R prior to 2.6.0.
>
> Ideas?
> Thanks,
> Mark

La version française suit le texte anglais.