[R] Rd files with unknown encoding?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 13 11:16:25 CET 2007

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Spencer Graves wrote:

>      How can I identify the problem generating a warning in R CMD check
> for "Rd files with unknown encoding"?
>
>      Google identified an email from John Fox with a reply from Brian
> Ripley about this last 12 Jun 2007.

But not on this list:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2007-June/046055.html

R-devel would have been more appropriate for this too.

>  This suggests that I may have accidentally entered some possibly
> non-printing character into the offending Rd file.  The message tells me
> which file, but I don't know which lines in the file.  Is there some way
> of finding the offending character(s) without laboriously running R CMD
> check after deleting different portions of the file until I isolate the
> problem?

I did say so in that thread:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2007-June/046061.html

You can do much the same in R via iconv("", "C", sub="byte"), provided you
can read the file in (it may not be representable in your current
locale, but you could run R in a Latin-1 locale, if your OS has one).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk