[R] Rd files with unknown encoding?
spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Dec 16 02:29:57 CET 2007
Dear Prof. Ripley:
Thanks very much. I did as you suggested, which I'll outline here
to make it easier for anyone else who might have a similar problem:
* Read the offending *.Rd file in R using 'readLines'
* Applied 'iconv' to the character vector, following the last
example in the help file. This translated all offending characters into
a multi-character sequence starting with '<'.
* Used 'regexpr' to find all occurrences of '<'.
The latter identified other uses of '<' but produced a
sufficiently short list that I was able to find the problems fairly
p.s. And in the future, I will refer 'Rd' questions to 'R-devel', per
Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Spencer Graves wrote:
>> How can I identify the problem generating a warning in R CMD check
>> for "Rd files with unknown encoding"?
>> Google identified an email from John Fox with a reply from Brian
>> Ripley about this last 12 Jun 2007.
> But not on this list:
> R-devel would have been more appropriate for this too.
>> This suggests that I may have accidentally entered some possibly
>> non-printing character into the offending Rd file. The message tells me
>> which file, but I don't know which lines in the file. Is there some way
>> of finding the offending character(s) without laboriously running R CMD
>> check after deleting different portions of the file until I isolate the
> I did say so in that thread:
> You can do much the same in R via iconv("", "C", sub="byte"), provided you
> can read the file in (it may not be representable in your current
> locale, but you could run R in a Latin-1 locale, if your OS has one).
More information about the R-help