[R] [R-pkgs] New version of systemfit (not backward compatible)

Arne Henningsen ahenningsen at email.uni-kiel.de
Tue Dec 18 17:15:57 CET 2007

Dear R users,

the systemfit package contains functions for fitting systems of simultaneous
equations by various estimation methods (e.g. OLS, SUR, 2SLS, 3SLS).
Currently version 0.8 of systemfit is available on CRAN. However, shortly we
will upload version 1.0, which is NOT BACKWARD COMPATIBLE. The changes that
broke backward compatibility were necessary to make systemfit() more similar
to standard regression tools in R such as lm(). We hope that the usage of
systemfit() is more intuitive for R users now. We will continue to maintain
the 0.8 branch so that users can still use the old version if they do not
want to update their R scripts. Both versions are and will be available for
download from systemfit's website:
   http://www.systemfit.org/
which is a shortcut to
   http://www.uni-kiel.de/agrarpol/ahenningsen/systemfit/

A paper that describes the (new version of the) systemfit package is
forthcoming in the Journal of Statistical Software (JSS). A preprint of this
paper is available on systemfit's website:
   http://www.systemfit.org/systemfit_paper_1.0.pdf

The following list summarizes the most important changes
from version 0.8 to 1.0:
- some names of systemfit()'s arguments have changed to make it more
  similar to standard regression tools in R
- the order of systemfit()'s arguments has changed to make it more
  similar to standard regression tools in R
- the names of the elements in the object returned by systemfit() have
  changed to make it more similar to lm()
- added several methods for systemfit objects that are generally
  available for standard regression tools in R
- restrictions on the coefficients can be specified symbolically now
- the functionality of systemfitClassic() has been integrated into systemfit()
- replaced ftest.systemfit() and waldtest.systemfit() by the method
  linear.hypothesis()
- systemfit now uses the "Matrix" package for matrix calculations (this
  makes the estimation of large models and large data sets much faster)
- improved checking of the arguments so that error messages are more
  helpful now

We thank two anonymous referees of the JSS, Achim Zeileis, John Fox, William
H. Greene, Ott Toomet, Duncan Murdoch, Martin Maechler, Duglas Bates and
several (other) systemfit users for their answers, comments, and/or
suggestions that helped us to improve the systemfit package.

Feedback is always welcome!
Arne & Jeff

--
Arne Henningsen