[R] R on EEE PC

Paul Bennett paul.bennett at vudu.com
Tue Dec 18 18:32:07 CET 2007

Someone asked about R on the EEE PC. That was the second thing
I installed when I received mine (the first being the full KDE desktop).
I don't recall any issues with the installation. I used the standard debian
package (the native linux on the EEE is Xandros, a derivation of debian).
The caveat being that since Xandros isn't *exactly* debian, there might
be some issues, but I haven't run into any yet. Note that I haven't tried
anything particularly taxing, so take this with a grain of salt.

R seems to run fine, the only problem I've encountered so far has been
that since the screen size is 800x480, plots are longer than the window, so
you only see part of them. I haven't tried changing the default plot size
(I assume that can be done).

It does get warm to the touch quickly, but nothing I found unbearable.
I can't report on battery life, since I haven't really put it through
its paces
yet -- maybe I'll report again after Christmas at the inlaws ... ;)

- Paul Bennett
Software Engineer
Vudu, Inc
paul.bennett at vudu.com