[R] R in Industry

Wensui Liu liuwensui at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 02:53:24 CET 2007

I've been looking for job that allows me to use R/S+ since I got out
of graduate school 2 years ago but with no success. I am wondering if
there is something that can be done to promote the use of R in
industry.

It's been very frustrating to see people doing statistics using
excel/spss and even more frustrating to see people paying $$$ for
something much inferior to R.

On 2/6/07, Doran, Harold <HDoran at air.org> wrote:
> The other day, CNN had a story on working at Google. Out of curiosity, I
> went to the Google employment web site (I'm not looking, but just
> curious). In perusing their job posts for statisticians, preference is
> given to those who use R and python. Other languages, S-Plus and
> something called SAS were listed as lower priorities.
>
> When I started using Python, I noted they have a portion of the web site
> with job postings. CRAN does not have something similar, but think it
> might be useful. I think R is becoming more widely used in industry and
> I wonder if helping it move along a bit, the maintainer of CRAN could
> create a section of the web site devoted to jobs where R is a
> requirement.
>
> Hence, we could have our own little "monster.com" kind of thing going
> on. Of the multitude of ways the gospel can be spread, this is small.
> But, I think every small step forward is good.
>
> Anyone think this is useful?
>
> Harold

WenSui Liu
A lousy statistician who happens to know a little programming
(http://spaces.msn.com/statcompute/blog)