[R] R in Industry

Matthew Keller mckellercran at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 04:03:02 CET 2007

Bob,

Far from flaming you, I think you made a good point - one that I
imagine most people who use R have come across. The name "R" is a big
impediment to effective online searches. As a check, I entered "R
software", "SAS software", SPSS software", and "S+ software" into
google. The R 'hit rate' was only ten out of the first 20 results (I
didn't look any further). For the other three software packages, the
hit rates were all 100% (20/20).

I do wonder if anything can/should be done about this. I generally
search using the term "CRAN" but of course, that omits lots of stuff
relevant to R. Any ideas about how to do effective online searches for
"R" related materials?

Matt

On 2/6/07, Wensui Liu <liuwensui at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been looking for job that allows me to use R/S+ since I got out
> of graduate school 2 years ago but with no success. I am wondering if
> there is something that can be done to promote the use of R in
> industry.
>
> It's been very frustrating to see people doing statistics using
> excel/spss and even more frustrating to see people paying $$$ for
> something much inferior to R.
>

> On 2/6/07, Doran, Harold <HDoran at air.org> wrote:
> > The other day, CNN had a story on working at Google. Out of curiosity, I
> > went to the Google employment web site (I'm not looking, but just
> > curious). In perusing their job posts for statisticians, preference is
> > given to those who use R and python. Other languages, S-Plus and
> > something called SAS were listed as lower priorities.
> >
> > When I started using Python, I noted they have a portion of the web site
> > with job postings. CRAN does not have something similar, but think it
> > might be useful. I think R is becoming more widely used in industry and
> > I wonder if helping it move along a bit, the maintainer of CRAN could
> > create a section of the web site devoted to jobs where R is a
> > requirement.
> >
> > Hence, we could have our own little "monster.com" kind of thing going
> > on. Of the multitude of ways the gospel can be spread, this is small.
> > But, I think every small step forward is good.
> >
> > Anyone think this is useful?
> >
> > Harold

> --
> WenSui Liu
> A lousy statistician who happens to know a little programming
> (http://spaces.msn.com/statcompute/blog)

Matthew C Keller
Postdoctoral Fellow
Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics