[R] Problems with 'delay'/'delayedAssign' when installing data package

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Feb 15 19:51:01 CET 2007

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 2/15/2007 3:57 AM, Wolfram Fischer wrote:
>
>>I downloaded:
>>    http://www.bioconductor.org/data/metaData/hgu95av2_1.7.0.tar.gz
>>described as:
>>    Package: hgu95av2
>>    Title: A data package containing annotation data for hgu95av2
>>    Version: 1.7.0
>>    Created: Wed Jan 12 16:57:23 2005
>>    Author: Lin,Chenwei
>>       from public data repositories
>>       Maintainer: Lin,Chenwei < clin at fhcrc.org >
>>       LazyLoad: yes
>>       Depends: R(>= 2.0.0)
>>       License: LGPL
>>       Packaged: Thu Mar  3 15:43:00 2005; biocbuild
>>
>>It is an example database of the geneplotter library.
>>
>>Trying to install, I got:
>>	$ R CMD INSTALL hgu95av2_1.7.0.tar.gz
>>
>>	* Installing *source* package 'hgu95av2' ...
>>	** R
>>	** data
>>	** preparing package for lazy loading
>>	Error: 'delay' is defunct.
>>	Use 'delayedAssign' instead.
>>	See help("Defunct")
>>	Execution halted
>>	ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'hgu95av2'
>>	** Removing '/usr/local/lib64/R-2.4.1/library/hgu95av2'
>>
>>How to by-pass this problem?
>

> There are two possibilities:  update the package to follow current R
> usage (which is something the maintainer should do, but if the
> maintainer is not active you may have to do it yourself), or run in an
> old version of R (pre-2.2.0) from before delay() was made defunct.
>
> You may also use this as a sign that the package is not being actively
> maintained, since this change happened in R 2.2.0 in 2005.  I don't know
> if that's reasonable for a collection of annotation data or not.

It wouldn't be if it were true. However, this is an old annotation
package that was part of the 1.7 release of Bioconductor that was
designed to work with R-2.2.0. Direct downloading of BioC packages can
easily result in unintended version mismatches like this.

The correct paradigm for installing BioC packages is to use biocLite(),
which is a wrapper to install.packages() that will automatically point
to the correct repository for a given version of R.

source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite("hgu95av2")

Additionally, R-help is not the correct list for questions about
Bioconductor packages. There is a separate list at
bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch.

Best,

Jim

> Duncan Murdoch