[R] Problems with 'delay'/'delayedAssign' when installing data package

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Thu Feb 15 19:56:04 CET 2007

Hi Wolfram,

Wolfram Fischer <wolfram at fischer-zim.ch> writes:

> I downloaded:
>     http://www.bioconductor.org/data/metaData/hgu95av2_1.7.0.tar.gz
> described as:
>     Package: hgu95av2
>     Title: A data package containing annotation data for hgu95av2
>     Version: 1.7.0
>     Created: Wed Jan 12 16:57:23 2005
>     Author: Lin,Chenwei
>        from public data repositories
>        Maintainer: Lin,Chenwei < clin at fhcrc.org >
>        LazyLoad: yes
>        Depends: R(>= 2.0.0)
>        License: LGPL
>        Packaged: Thu Mar  3 15:43:00 2005; biocbuild

That is not the recommended way to install Bioconductor packages (and
of course, this is not the recommended place to ask questions about
them: there is a dedicated bioconductor list).

Based on this:

> 	** Removing '/usr/local/lib64/R-2.4.1/library/hgu95av2'

I take it you are using R-2.4.1 on a 64-bit Linux platform.  It is
good that you are using an up-to-date version of R.  To install
Bioconductor packages, please try:

  R> source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
  R> biocLite("hgu95av2")
  ## or to get everything geneplotter depends and suggests
  R> biocLite("geneplotter", dependencies=TRUE)

The error you are seeing is due to the fact that you have downloaded a
very old version of the data annotation package.  These packages are
maintained and updated version appropriate for current R are
available.  The easiest way is to install using biocLite, but you can
also get to the current stuff from the website.

+ seth