[R] Installing Package rgl - Compilation Fails - FreeBSD

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 20 22:45:55 CET 2007

The problem is that rgl is apparently written for GNU make, and has (as
shipped)

ifdef MAKINGAGL
PKG_CPPFLAGS=@AGLCPPFLAGS@ -Iext
PKG_LIBS=@AGLLIBS@
else
PKG_CPPFLAGS= -If:/R/R-2.4.1/src/extra/zlib -DHAVE_PNG_H
-If:/R/R-2.4.1/src/gnuwin32/bitmap/libpng  -Iext
PKG_LIBS=-lgdi32 -lopengl32 -lglu32
-Lf:/R/R-2.4.1/src/gnuwin32/bitmap/libpng -
lpng -Lf:/R/R-2.4.1/src/extra/zlib -lz
endif

and similar for BUILDAGL.

That seems to have been written to make it workable on MacOS X. Given that
configure knows (or could know) the OS, it seems better to write (via
configure) a separate Makevars for MacOS X and remove all the
ifdef...endif stuff for everyone else.  (If you do that in Makevars.in it
should work.)