[R] Installing Package rgl - Compilation Fails - FreeBSD

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Tue Feb 20 22:08:37 CET 2007

Duncan Murdoch schrieb:
> On 2/20/2007 1:11 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>> Hi Duncan,
>> I don't know if this will list all the dependencies for your documentation, since Rick's error messages did not involve libraries and header files already installed by him for something else, perhaps.
>
> No, but it's a start:  I'm thinking of something more like a FAQ than
> comprehensive documentation.  Comprehensive docs are not feasible to
> maintain (there are so many systems that Daniel and I don't use), but
> hints that two non-standard packages solved one person's problems might
> be enough of a hint to get someone else going.

Duncan,

thank you for this purpose. I am such a person who could need some help
with installing rgl and hope it is ok to place it in this thread.

My trial to install rgl_0.70.tar.gz on R-2.4.1 on FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT
ends up with errors. Obiously something is wrong with Makevars. I have
no idea what to do next. 'rgl' is one of the rare cases that do not
install under R on FreeBSD.

The install messages are short:

-----
#R CMD INSTALL rgl_0.70.tar.gz
* Installing to library '/usr/local/lib/R/library'
* Installing *source* package 'rgl' ...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
checking for libpng-config... yes
configure: using libpng-config
configure: using libpng dynamic linkage
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating src/Makevars
** libs
"Makevars", line 9: Need an operator
"Makevars", line 12: Need an operator
"Makevars", line 15: Need an operator
"Makevars", line 21: Need an operator
"Makevars", line 23: Need an operator
"Makevars", line 36: Need an operator
"Makevars", line 38: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
chmod: /usr/local/lib/R/library/rgl/libs/*: No such file or directory
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'rgl'
** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/library/rgl'
-----

Are there any experiences with installing rgl on FreeBSD? Do you know if
it is at all possible to get rgl to work on FreeBSD? If I can do
anything like testing or giving more information let me know.

I appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

Rainer Hurling