[R] investigating interactions with mixed models

R. Baker rb373 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 22 13:32:44 CET 2007

I'm investigating a number of dependent variables using mixed models, e.g.

data.lmer45 = lmer(ampStopB ~ (type + stress + MorD)^3 + (1|speaker) +
(1|word), data=data)

The p-values for some of the 2-way and 3-way interactions are significant
at a 0.05 level and I have been trying to find out how to understand the
exact nature of the interactions. Does anyone know if it is possible to run
post-hoc tests on mixed model (lmer) objects? I have read about TukeyHSD
but it seems that this can only be run on anova (aov) objects.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

Rachel Baker

PhD student
Dept of Linguistics
Sidgwick Avenue