[R] Repeated measures logistic regression

Andy Fugard a.fugard at ed.ac.uk
Sun Feb 25 20:58:09 CET 2007

Dear all,

I'm struggling to find the best (set of?) function(s) to do repeated
measures logistic regression on some data from a psychology experiment.

An artificial version of the data I've got is as follows.  Firstly,
each participant filled in a questionnaire, the result of which is a
score.

 > questionnaire
    ID Score
1   1     6
2   2     5
3   3     6
4   4     2

Secondly, each participant did a task which required a series of
button-pushes.  The response is binary.  The factors CondA and CondB
describe the structure of the stimulus:

 > experiment
     ID CondA CondB Response
1    1    a1    b1        1
2    1    a2    b2        0
3    1    a3    b1        0
4    1    a4    b2        0
5    1    a1    b1        1
6    1    a2    b2        0
7    1    a3    b1        0
8    1    a4    b2        0
9    2    a1    b1        1
10   2    a2    b2        0
11   2    a3    b1        0
12   2    a4    b2        0
13   2    a1    b1        1
14   2    a2    b2        0
15   2    a3    b1        0
16   2    a4    b2        0

I would like to model how someone's score on the questionnaire
relates to the responses they give in the button-pushing.  I'm
particularly interested in interactions between the type of the
stimulus and the score.

I combined the experiment and the questionnaire dataframe with a
merge so now there an additional column.

 > exp.q
     ID Score CondA CondB Response
1    1     6    a1    b1        1
2    1     6    a2    b2        0
3    1     6    a3    b1        0
4    1     6    a4    b2        0
5    1     6    a1    b1        1
6    1     6    a2    b2        0
7    1     6    a3    b1        0
8    1     6    a4    b2        0
9    2     5    a1    b1        1
10   2     5    a2    b2        0
11   2     5    a3    b1        0
12   2     5    a4    b2        0

Eventually, via glm, glmmPQL, and a few others, I ended up with
lmer.  My questions follow.  I suspect (or hope) that I need to be
pointed towards the relevant literature.  I own Faraway's "Extending
the Linear Model with R" and Crawley's "Statistics: An Introduction
using R".

1. Is the way I've combined the tables okay?  I'm concerned that the
repetition of the score is Bad but can't think of any other way to
code things.

2. Is lmer the most appropriate function to use?

3. If so, does the following call capture what I'm trying to model?

model1 = lmer(Response ~ CondA * CondB * Score + (1|Subject),
               data =exp.q,
               family = binomial)

I just want to tell lmer, "Look, this set of responses all comes from
the same person: tell me the within-subject stuff that's going on and
how that's affected by their score!"

4. Is there any way to do stepwise model simplification?  In the real
data I have, there are several more predictors, including more than
one questionnaire score and subscores.  I have specific hypotheses
about what could be going on, so I can live with manual editing of
the formulae, but it's nice for exploratory purposes to do stepwise
simplification.

5. What's the best way to discover and report the relative
contribution of each predictor?  I'm after an analogue of
standardized betas (though I recently learned that they're thoroughly
evil).

6. Is there anyway to get a p-value for goodness of fit?

Many thanks for any help,

Andy

--
Andy Fugard, Postgraduate Research Student
Psychology (Room F15), The University of Edinburgh,