[R] If you had just one book on R to buy...

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 13:09:14 CET 2007

On 2/25/07, Julien Barnier <julien at no-log.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am starting a new job as a study analyst for a social science
> research unit. I would really like to use R as my main tool for data
> manipulation and analysis. So I'd like to ask you, if you had just one
> book on R to buy (or to keep), which one would it be ? I already
> bought the Handbook of Statistical Analysis Using R, but I'd like to
> have something more complete, both on the statistical point of view
> and on R usage.
>
> I thought that "Modern applied statistics with S-Plus" would be a good
> choice, but maybe some of you could have interesting suggestions ?

Dear Julien,

I'd definitely go for MASS if you already have Handbook. MASS is an
awesome book, but you did not tell us anything about your background
(stats begginners, for instance, sometimes get lost in MASS, because
that is not the target audience). In terms of books of this level,
MASS is unique. (There are more specific books for certain topics,
such as mixed models, etc; but for a wide coverage, I'd go with MASS).

HTH,

R.