[R] RODBC compile error with R 2.4.1

Matthew Dowle mdowle at concordiafunds.com
Wed Jan 3 12:49:22 CET 2007

Hi All,

I'm getting the following error,  could anyone help please?

$ R CMD INSTALL RODBC_1.1-7.tar.gz
* Installing *source* package 'RODBC' ...
checking for gcc... gcc -std=gnu99
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc -std=gnu99 accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc -std=gnu99 option to accept ANSI C... none needed
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -std=gnu99 -E
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking sql.h usability... yes
checking sql.h presence... yes
checking for sql.h... yes
checking sqlext.h usability... yes
checking sqlext.h presence... yes
checking for sqlext.h... yes
checking for library containing SQLTables... -lodbc
checking for SQLLEN... yes
checking for SQLULEN... yes
checking for long... yes
checking size of long... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (long),
77
See `config.log' for more details.
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RODBC'
** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/library/RODBC'
** Restoring previous '/usr/local/lib/R/library/RODBC'

> version
               _
platform       x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
arch           x86_64
os             linux-gnu
system         x86_64, linux-gnu
status
major          2
minor          4.1
year           2006
month          12
day            18
svn rev        40228
language       R
version.string R version 2.4.1 (2006-12-18)

Regards,
Matthew