[R] Error in plot.new() : Figure margins too large

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Jan 11 14:31:11 CET 2007

Antje wrote:
> Hmm, but what can be the solution? Any idea? Or any documentation on
> that which I could read to find a solution by myself?
>
> with the windows statement, I wanted to achive a format which fits for
> my plots, so that each plot will have a quadratic area.

OK, so what was the pdf() for?...

Notice that this creates subplots which are one inch square.  By
default  plots are surrounded by 9.2 lines of text vertically (and 6.2
horisontally). Now the distance between lines of text depends on the
pointsize, which is 12pt by default. In subplots, I believe it is
somewhat smaller (8pt?), but 9.2 lines of text still leaves no room for
the actual plot. So, look at help(par) and help(windows) and start
fiddling with pointsize, mar, mgp, and maybe more.