[R] building R on freebsd 6.2 (amd64)

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 18 15:34:59 CET 2007

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Hiroyuki Kawakatsu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I updated my os to freebsd 6.2 and built R-patched with no changes in
> configure. I pass make check and copy the R executable to
> /usr/local/bin/R. Then when I start R, I get
>
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libRblas.so" not found, required by "R"
>
> and have to copy/link the two shared object files (libRblas.so and
> libRlapack.so) to somewhere "visible" like /usr/local/lib/ as well. I
> didn't have to do this last step in freebsd 6.1. Is there some
> configure setting I can use to avoid having to move the two shared
> object files?

The R front end sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the place it puts libR.so.
It looks like that is not effective on your machine, but you will have to
investigate for us why.  I am pretty sure other FreeBSD users (6.2 and 7)
on AMD64 reported success on R 2.4.x.

How does FreeBSD 6.2 handle 64-bit systems?  Most OSes would use
/usr/local/lib64, and there is a configure setting LIBnn to cover that
issue.

Another solution for ELF systems is to include R_HOME/lib in the list of
directories known to ldconfig.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk