[R] building R on freebsd 6.2 (amd64)

Hiroyuki Kawakatsu hkawakat at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 18:02:40 CET 2007

On 1/18/07, Prof Brian D Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> The R front end sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the place it puts libR.so.
> It looks like that is not effective on your machine, but you will have to
> investigate for us why.  I am pretty sure other FreeBSD users (6.2 and 7)
> on AMD64 reported success on R 2.4.x.

echo returns
LD_LIBRARY_PATH: Undefined variable.

> How does FreeBSD 6.2 handle 64-bit systems?  Most OSes would use
> /usr/local/lib64, and there is a configure setting LIBnn to cover that
> issue.

I have /usr/lib/, /usr/lib32/, /usr/local/lib/, but no /usr/local/lib64/

> Another solution for ELF systems is to include R_HOME/lib in the list of
> directories known to ldconfig.

Thanks for that tip. I suppose if I symlink to R_HOME/lib/ I won't
have to redo them every time I rebuild R-patched. Just as note to
myself, the following appears to work

ln -s /opt/acml3.6.0/gnu64/lib/libacml.so /usr/local/lib/libRblas.so
ln -s /opt/acml3.6.0/gnu64/lib/libacml_mv.so /usr/local/lib/libacml_mv.so
ln -s R_HOME/lib/libRlapack.so /usr/local/lib/libRlapack.so

h.
--
Hiroyuki Kawakatsu