[R] R equivalent to Matlab's Bayes net toolbox

Jose quesada at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 05:52:51 CEST 2007

Søren Højsgaard <Soren.Hojsgaard <at> agrsci.dk> writes:

> Jose,
> I am not entirely sure what Matlabs Bayes net toolbox does, but I guess it
implements as propagation
> algorithm for Bayesian networks. There is no such package on CRAN - yet - but
there will be soon: I've
> created a package called gRbayesnet which implements the "Lauritzen-
Spiegelhalter" propagation
> algorithm. I expect to upload it to CRAN within the next few days.
> Best regards
> Søren
>
> ________________________________

Hi Søren,

It looks like bnt implements several algorithms for learning both parameters
and structure:
http://bnt.sourceforge.net

MCMC for example is implemented. I didn't know about this Lauritzen-
Spiegelhalter" propagation algorithm.

The thing that I don't understand in the gR page is why there are so many
different packages and why they are not very integrated:
boa
CoCo
coda
deal
dynamicGraph (core)
ggm
gRbase (core)
mathgraph
mimR
R2WinBUGS
rbugs
SIN
http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Views/gR.html

I tried deal, for example, and it's not really comparable to bnt.

In Matlab, there seems to be a package (well, toolbox) only, and there seems to
be some of a community around it: