[R] Is there a facility in R similar to MatLab "syms" that allows using unevaluated numeric symbols in matrices?

Dylan Arena darena at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 19 01:20:53 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to use R to get eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix
whose elements are of the form (2 * lambda), -(lambda + mu), etc.  I'd
like R to treat this matrix as a numeric matrix without treating lambda
and mu as variable names but rather as some sort of atomic quantities
(and hence give eigenvectors in terms of mu and/or lambda).  MatLab and
Mathematica both do this, but I'm not sure whether R does.  Does anyone
have any ideas about how to do this?

Please let me know,
Dylan