[R] Is there a facility in R similar to MatLab

Hans W. Borchers hwborchers at yahoo.de
Thu Jul 19 09:55:12 CEST 2007

Dylan Arena <darena <at> stanford.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use R to get eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix
> whose elements are of the form (2 * lambda), -(lambda + mu), etc.  I'd
> like R to treat this matrix as a numeric matrix without treating lambda
> and mu as variable names but rather as some sort of atomic quantities
> (and hence give eigenvectors in terms of mu and/or lambda).  MatLab and
> Mathematica both do this, but I'm not sure whether R does.  Does anyone
> have any ideas about how to do this?
>
> Please let me know,
> Dylan

You are asking for a Computer Algebra problem and thus you should apply a
Computer Algebra System (CAS) such as Maple, Mathematica, MuPAD, or the
free software Maxima.
By the way, Matlab does _not_ do this, it utilizes the Maple kernel in its
Symbolic Toolbox.
In R you can try the Ryacas package, but I personally would prefer one of
the more extended systems. Maxima with wxMaxima interface is quite nice,
and for MuPAD there is a non-expensive personal copy available.

Hans Werner Borchers