[R] memory error with 64-bit R in linux

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Thu Jul 19 17:51:09 CEST 2007

You might try running top while R runs, to get a better idea of what is
happening. 64-bit R takes more memory than 32-bit (longer pointers) and
for a large problem I would say that 2GB RAM is a minimum if you want
any speed. Slowness is likely related to needing to use swap space. The
"cannot allocate" error is because you run out of both RAM and swap. If
you are close to finishing your calculation you may resolve things by
increasing swap, but don't expect it to be fast.

There is also a possibility that your user id is restricted, but I'm not
sure how that works anymore. It used to be controlled by ulimit, but
that does not seem to be the case in newer versions of Linux.

If you are still debugging your code, and there is some chance you are
just gobbling up memory endlessly until it runs out, then you can speed
things up (i.e. fail more quickly) by turning swap off. There are
debugging situations where this turns out to be useful.

HTH,
Paul