[R] plotting a summary.rq object in using pkg quantreg

Jeff G. jrg66 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 24 18:07:31 CEST 2007

Hello,

I am having problems adjusting the plot output from the quantreg
package.  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

For example (borrowing from the help files):

plot(summary(rq(foodexp~income,tau = 1:49/50,data=engel)), nrow=1,
ncol=2,alpha = .4, ols = TRUE, xlab="test")

The "alpha=" parameter seems to have no effect on my output, even when I
set it to a ridiculous value like 0.4.  Also, though in the help file it
says |"...| = optional arguments to plot", "xlab" (as an example) seems
to do nothing.  If the answer is that I should extract the values I need
and construct the plot I want independently of the rq.process object,
that it okay I suppose, if inefficient.  Maybe a more fundamental
question is how do I get in and see how plot is working in this case so
that I can modify.

Thanks much!

P.S.  I've explored using plot.summary.rqs but the problems seem to be
the same.