[R] plot

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Fri Jul 27 20:57:47 CEST 2007

Can you really see much of the data in a 26*31 3d barplot?  It seems like most info would be hidden behind the first few rows and it would be so cluttered that you would not be able to make out much of anything from it.

Why not try a line plot instead (year as the x axis, each region a different year).  Here is a quick example:

> data(votes.repub, package='cluster')
> matplot( t(votes.repub[1:31, 1:26]), type='l')

Even better would be to group some of the regions together and use xyplot from the lattice package and have a panel for each group of regions (fewer lines per panel should be easier to see detail).

You could also use the image function (or levelplot from lattice) to create a 26*31 grid with colors used for the 3rd dimension (can be good for overall patterns, not so good for looking at detail).

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center