[R] klaR stepclass

Neil Losin neil.losin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 02:46:15 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to use "stepclass" to do a stepwise variable selection with
method=lda. I keep getting this warning message, which shows up once
for each variable added to the model during variable selection:

Warning message:
error(s) in modeling/prediction step in: cv.rate(vars = c(model,
tryvar), data = data, grouping = grouping,

I don't know how to interpret this warning. I do not have a separate
data set for cross validation. Is this important, or will "stepclass"
do leave-one-out cross-validation in the absence of other
cross-validation data?

Also, when I run "stepclass" several times with identical parameters,
it will give me a slightly different "best" model each time. It seems
to me that it should always return the same model, as long as the
dataset and call are the same. Am I missing something? Is there some
randomization going on behind the scenes that I'm unaware of?

Thanks in advance,
Neil Losin

--
_____