[R] pretty report

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Wed Jun 13 03:13:35 CEST 2007

At 5:01 PM -0400 6/12/07, Weiwei Shi wrote:
>Dear Listers:
>
>I have a couple of data frames to report and each corresponds to
>different condtions, e.g. conditions=c(10, 15, 20, 25). In this
>examples, four data frames need to be exported in a "pretty" report.
>
>I knew Perl has some module for exporting data to Excel and after
>googling, I found R does not.

I use write.table(), name the file with ".xls" as the suffix, then
outside R I double-click on it and it opens in Excel. Granted, it's a
text file, and Excel is opening a text file, but none the less, I
think that qualifies as exporting to Excel, considering that the
contents of the data frame are now in Excel and one can do whatever
formatting one wishes to do.  (And this is on a Macintosh, but I
assume it works in Windows as well.)

>So I am wondering if there is a package in R for generating good
>reports. I found package xtable but it seems (if not, please correct
>me) that it can only generate one table for one file.

latex() from the HMisc package will produce pretty reports. Of
course, that does require learning and using tex or latex, for which
Sweave can help, as Gabor mentioned.

>Thanks for any suggestions,
>
>-W
>
>--