[R] Difficulties With Posting To Ongoing Threads on the R Mailing List

Robert Wilkins irishhacker at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 00:25:36 CEST 2007

A number of people are having the same problem as me, when you post as
a response to an ongoing thread, in place of your message, the
following message appears:

An embedded & charset-unspecified text was scrubbed ...

and a link is given that leads to the desired message.

It's better than nothing , but it sure is annoying, and some readers
will skip it instead of doing the extra link. It's also annoying to
read a thread, when several posters , through no fault of their own,
get "scrubbed".

I always think of an e-mail as pure ASCII text, unless you add an attachment.
Is it possible that some e-mail hosts ( I use gmail ) embed binary
code into the e-mail?
Maybe the R mailing list software is reacting to that.

On another note, I tryed posting on gmane, to add to the thread from
last week. It just disappeared , or maybe not, I don't know. Maybe
it's related to the one-time registration requirement for gmane.

As far as I can tell, the above problem (scrubbing) does not occur
when you do a stand-alone post, not as a response to an ongoing
thread. Hope it stays that way!