[R] JGR, Java and Kubuntu 7.04 ...

John Logsdon j.logsdon at quantex-research.com
Thu Jun 14 19:16:47 CEST 2007

R-ists

Yet again Java rears its ugly head.

I have Kubuntu 7.04 running the Kubuntu-repository version of R 2.4.1-1.
Yes it isn't the  very latest version but this is not the issue here.

I want a Windows-like environment and everyone is talking about JGR.

I downloaded it and installed it along with rJava.  Both compile and install
satisfactorily.

But when I come to run it:

> > library('JGR')

> Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
>         unable to load shared library
> '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/rJava/libs/rJava.so':
> /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/rJava/libs/rJava.so: undefined symbol:
> JNI_GetCreatedJavaVMs Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'rJava'
> Error: package 'rJava' could not be loaded

When I first tried to run it without Java being installed, I got a message
saying that JDK wasn't installed but mentioned 1.4.2.  The version of Java
actually installed as the latest from the Ubuntu repository is Sun 1.5.0.11.
I don't see the point in installing old versions of Java just for one
application because the language, or at least the writing, should be
backwards compatible.

In all aspects I have seen Kubuntu is a very impressive in checking
compatibility.  Unfortunately this is frequently not the case with Java.  I
steer clear of Java as much as possible.

Can anyone suggest what I should do?  Use Windows perhaps?  Run Windows in a
kvm virtual machine just to run R?  Put my head in a bucket of cold water?
Is there an alternative IDE?  Is there a later JGR somewhere that is not yet
on CRAN?

TIA

--
Best wishes

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon at quantex-research.com              a.einstein at relativity.org
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com