[R] [OT] 'gv' and fractional points

(Ted Harding) ted.harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Fri Jun 15 21:33:34 CEST 2007

On 15-Jun-07 16:29:53, Ted Harding wrote:
> [...]
> However, as a follow-up, I've since found that one can (somewhat
> tediously) do what I was asking with the GIMP.

As well as the awkwardness of doing it the GIMP way, I've
discovered another disadvantage.

I'd previously tried it on a rather small image (175x70 points,
= 2.43x0.97 inches).

I then tried it on a full A4 page. Even at a GIMP "Scale"
factor of 300, this leads to a 50MB temporary file being
created. At 1000, this would rise to some 550MB, as I found
out after this attempt filled up the limited spare space
I have on the disk drive in question ...

No doubt "Scale"=300 (as opposed to the default of 100) may be
ample for most purposes, but the overhead is still unpleasant!

Hence I'm once again hankering after something which will display
a PS file as efficiently as 'gv', but will report the cursor
position in fractions of a point!

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861