[R] [OT] 'gv' and fractional points

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jun 15 22:41:36 CEST 2007

Hi

If I understand correctly, this is something that the 'grImport' package
might be very useful for.  You can import the PostScript image into R,
which means that you can draw the image, but you also have the locations
of everything that is drawn as numeric values so you should be able
(probably after a bit of transformation) to extract the values to very
good accuracy.  If you can provide me with an example file, I'd be happy
to play around and see if I could get this to work.

Paul

(Ted Harding) wrote:
> On 15-Jun-07 16:29:53, Ted Harding wrote:
>> [...]
>> However, as a follow-up, I've since found that one can (somewhat
>> tediously) do what I was asking with the GIMP.
>
> As well as the awkwardness of doing it the GIMP way, I've
> discovered another disadvantage.
>
> I'd previously tried it on a rather small image (175x70 points,
> = 2.43x0.97 inches).
>
> I then tried it on a full A4 page. Even at a GIMP "Scale"
> factor of 300, this leads to a 50MB temporary file being
> created. At 1000, this would rise to some 550MB, as I found
> out after this attempt filled up the limited spare space
> I have on the disk drive in question ...
>
> No doubt "Scale"=300 (as opposed to the default of 100) may be
> ample for most purposes, but the overhead is still unpleasant!
>
> Hence I'm once again hankering after something which will display
> a PS file as efficiently as 'gv', but will report the cursor
> position in fractions of a point!
>
> Best wishes to all,
> Ted.

> E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk>