[R] Speed up R

Mike Prager mike.prager at noaa.gov
Wed Jun 20 15:08:00 CEST 2007

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> The advantage of dual processors is that you can use the machine for
> several things at once, including multiple R jobs.

I've used dual-processor machines for about 10 years now and
emphatically second the point made by Brian Ripley. Even if you
are not running several R jobs at once, it is nice to do
something else at full speed while a simulation uses another
processor.

Often overlooked is the additional large advantage to be gained
by using SCSI disks rather than any form of ATA. With today's
large applications and operating systems, there can be frequent
paging, and a SCSI subsystem will make a large difference in
computer response, at least under Windows. Unless your work is
processor bound, disk I/O is usually what sets the pace.

--
Mike Prager, NOAA, Beaufort, NC