[R] Speed up R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 20 16:08:55 CEST 2007

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Robert McFadden wrote:

> [...]

Yes, you can.  You will get very close to 2x speed up if you have enough
(and fast enough) RAM.

> During our discussion one mentioned that RAM is important. But in my
> computing I do not use up more then 500 MB. I have 786 MB it means
> (probably) that I have enough.

On a dual processor machine you need more to avoid any swapping.  Even my
2.5 year old laptop has 1Gb, and I'd want at least 2Gb in a dual processor
machine given that spec.  My sysadmin suggests a minimum of 4Gb for 64-bit
dual processors these days.