[R] Generating R plots through Perl

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Fri Mar 2 01:14:31 CET 2007

On Mar 1, 2007, at 6:28 PM, <Ryan.G.Huckstorf at wellsfargo.com> wrote:

First off, if you are working in perl you might want to be aware of
ruby and the "r for ruby" project:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/r4ruby/

> Hello,
>
> $R->send(qq (xVal <- c(1,2,3,4,5,6)));
> $R->send(qq (yVal <- c(3,5,2,6,1,5)));
> $R->send(qq (pdf("C:/Test Environment/R/perlPlotTest.pdf")));
> $R->send(qq (plot(xVal, yVal)));
> $R->send(qq (graphics.off()));

I don't really know how to write this in perl, but could you perhaps
put the last three lines all in one call to "$R->send", using dev.off
() then? Don't know if it would make a difference, but that's the
only thing I could think of. I'm guessing something like this:

$R->send(qq (pdf("C:/Test Environment/R/perlPlotTest.pdf"); plot
(xVal, yVal); dev.off()));

> As the code indicates, I am using R's pdf function to create a pdf
> file
> containing the plot of xVal and yVal.  I am using the graphics.off()
> function rather than the dev.off() function as I get an error
> message of
> "<simpleError in dev.off(): cannot shut down device 1 (the null
> device)>" when dev.off() is used.  Is there another way to generate
> and
> save a plot using the bridge connection that I described?  If not,
> what
> would be an efficient way of generating and saving plots from
> within my
> Perl program?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Ryan

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College