[R] Rbind with data frames -- column names question

Cody_Hamilton at Edwards.com Cody_Hamilton at Edwards.com
Mon Mar 5 23:40:58 CET 2007

Gregg,

What about

A<-data.frame(1,1,1); names(A)=letters[1:3] ; B<-matrix(0,2,3)
B<-as.data.frame(B)
names(B)<-names(A)
rbind(A,B)

-Cody

             Gregg Lind
             <lind1199 at umn.edu
             Sent by:                  r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
             r-help-bounces at st                                          cc
             at.math.ethz.ch
                                                                   Subject
                                       [R] Rbind with data frames --
             03/05/2007 02:06          column names question
             PM

As part of my work, I am trying to append matrices onto data frames.
Naively I assumed that when rbinding a data.frame and matrix, the matrix
would be coerced and appended, keeping the names from the data frame.
Clearly, I am not fully understanding the process by which rbind works.

Example code:

 > A<-data.frame(1,1,1); names(A)=letters[1:3] ; B<-matrix(0,2,3)
 > rbind(A,B)
Error in match.names(clabs, names(xi)) : names do not match previous names:
        V1, V2, V3
 > rbind(A,as.data.frame(B))
Error in match.names(clabs, names(xi)) : names do not match previous names:
        V1, V2, V3

Is there a "right" way to combine the two such that the both end up
having the same column names?

I have tried to understand the deparse.level argument of rbind, but it
doesn't seem to do what I'm asking.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Gregg
--
Gregg Lind, M.S.

Division of Epidemiology and Community Health
School of Public Health
University of Minnesota, United States