[R] estimating an ARIMA model with constraints

Laurent Duvernet montcroix at hotmail.fr
Tue Mar 13 15:35:53 CET 2007

Hi,

I am trying to estimate an ARIMA model in the case where I have some
specific knowledge about the coefficients that should be included in the
model. Take a classical ARIMA (or even ARMA) model:

P(B) X(t) = Q(B) epsilon(t),

where X(t) is the data, epsilon is a white noise, B is the backward operator
and P and Q are some polynoms. Additionally, assume that you know in advance
how P and Q look like. Typically, P could be something like this:

P(x) = (1 - a(1)*x - a(2)*x^2) * (1 - b(1)*x^23 - b(2)*x^24) * (1 -
c(1)*x^168)

(That is in the case of hourly data, with lags 23 and 24 corresponding to
the day, and lag 168 for the week.) How do you estimate this kind of model
with R? The arima() and arima0() functions in the stats package do not allow
this kind of constraints on the polynoms. I've searched in the packages
dedicated to time series analysis, but I have not found a solution. Has
anyone an idea?

Thanks in advance!

Laurent Duvernet
EDF R&D