[R] lmer estimated scale

Daniel Ezra Johnson johnson4 at babel.ling.upenn.edu
Fri Mar 23 01:21:22 CET 2007

I have data consisting of binary responses from a large number of
subjects on seven similar items. I have been using lmer with
(crossed) random effects for subject and item. These effects are
almost always (in the case of subject, always) significant additions
to the model, testing this with anova. Including them also increases
the Somers' Dxy value substantially.

Even without those reasons, I feel I'd have to include these random
effects to account for the correlation between the seven items from
every subject. Otherwise the fixed between-subject effects like race,
gender, etc. will seem more significant than they should.

But how should I interpret the fact that without a Subject effect
included, the "estimated scale" parameter is usually very close to 1,
while when I include the Subject effect the scale parameter drops,
usually to around 0.85?

Can I at least conclude something interesting from this? Is it the
same as saying that the subject effect itself (meaning the 'observed'
subject BLUPs) is underdispersed with respect to its theoretical
normal distribution?

To summarize:

a <- lmer(Response~Fixed Effects+(1|Subject)+(1|Item),data,binomial)
b <- lmer(Response~Fixed Effects+(1|Item),data,binomial)

a has a much better fit by any measure, and estimated scale around 0.85.
b has a worse fit, but estimated scale around 1.

Obvious? Interesting? Worrisome?

Thanks,
Dan